'If you play your game, you are fearless' - Vijay


M Vijay says Test cricket has taught him psychological discipline

M Vijay opens up about surfing, his indifferent record in ODIs and the chance to advance on that, and about learning to rapid himself more freely


"Ride the wave and don't fall." It's another trap M Vijay has scholarly generally. He's discussing his new interest - surfing - yet the same position could be connected to his cricket as well, particularly since he has been picked for India's constrained overs voyage through Zimbabwe.

On Monday evening, Vijay was in transit to preparing in Chennai when the choice was made open. It denoted a rebound of sorts for the batsman, who had been dropped from the ODI squad after the late spring of 2013. Vijay, however, told ABOCcricinfo he was not astounded by the call-up.

How enormous is this determination for you?

It is a cheerful feeling to make a rebound to ODIs. I have been batting great in Tests, so I simply need to snatch the open door that has come my direction. As a player I was expecting the call-up. I was the third opener for four arrangement, including the 2013 Champions Trophy, yet couldn't get a diversion.

So this Zimbabwe arrangement is a decent chance to concrete the part as the third opener?

I have constantly had faith in myself. It is not about rivaling anyone. I generally rival myself and I hope to enhance similarly as I can. It is not that I am going to play as a third opener and be upbeat. I will never be cheerful. I have for a long while been itching to be the main batsman for Indian cricket.

Is there a component of uncertainty, thinking of you as have not played ODIs since the 2013 late spring?

Never. I have been dealing with my diversion, on my nuts and bolts. I have been sitting tight for the open door without hurrying myself. Sometime recently, when I got the open doors, they were stop-begin. Since I have got another open door, I simply am cheerful and eager to go and communicate on the field.

Regarding numbers, you don't have a half-century in ODIs. Does that make a difference considering the structure you are in right now?

."I am not a guy who will give excuses, but you have got to consider the number of ODI matches I have played on the trot. When I got chances, they were stop-start"


I am not a fellow who will give pardons, but rather you have got the chance to consider the quantity of matches I have played on the jog. That matters a great deal as a batsman. It is not a reason. I never got a series of ODIs or arrangement. I needed to adjust to that previously.

As of late, you said you have needed to check your impulses in Test cricket. In any case, now in ODIs, you may have the capacity to play with more flexibility...

It's just plain obvious, I am communicating. Considering the organization of the amusement (Tests), all I said was that I was checking my impulses keeping in mind the end goal to be steadier as opposed to demonstrating a point to the rival. I never implied I didn't play my amusement. Despite everything I play my amusement. I had an approach and I didn't float away from it. I simply played by circumstance in the Tests thus far, it has turn out well for both the group and me by and by. On the off chance that I get a chance to go and hit from ball one, I would do it in the event that I were in that zone. It is not that I'm checking my impulses. In any case, you need to consider the circumstance and play likewise.

From the achievement that you have appreciated in the most recent two years, what are the things that will help you in ODI cricket?

The mental order. The diversion is not going to change that much. It is only the way I put forth a concentrated effort in diverse organizations and as indicated by the circumstance, I need to raise the stakes. With the new playing conditions from this arrangement, I will need to adjust as per the ground circumstance, the resistance strategy, and as needs be trade in for spendable dough.

One point of interest you can take from your Test amusement is you can see off the new ball with more certainty...

I never see myself as seeing off another ball. I generally have the goal to play the ball. On the off chance that the ball is not to be played, I abandon it. It is not that I go into bat with the expectation that I need to leave these numerous balls. It is only that I need to play minimal more minimized to have the high ground against the bowler. That is my reasoning. There are two approaches to take a gander at it: possibly you go forceful or you go cautious. Yet, all I need to do is give myself more certainty by countering an assault in a decent spell in a fitting manner, and after that I can trade in for spendable dough. So I am continually considering assaulting in my brain.

One of your mentors prescribes it would be useful in the event that you could communicate in ODIs courageously?

As a batsman, I doubtlessly hope to do it each time I stroll into bat. All I need to do every time I bat is help my group win the match by making helpful commitments relying upon the situation. In the event that you play your diversion, you are brave. That is a superior approach to put it than saying - play courageously. It is about the flexibility and to get that opportunity, you need to bond your spot. It is not that I have not done well some time recently. Previously, I got thirties, yet they hurt me and were in charge of my way out from ODIs.


"It is not that I'm curbing my instincts, but you have to deliberate the situation and play consequently"



How might you portray your execution this IPL?

It was terrible.

You were a main 10 batsman when Chennai Super Kings won the IPL in 2010 and 2011. You additionally have a few centuries in the IPL. What is that you have adapted in Twenty20 cricket that can help your batting in ODIs?

It is an altogether distinctive organization. A considerable measure of batsmen are opening up somewhat prior on account of the certainty they have got playing in the Twenty20 organization. In any case, 50-over cricket is an exceptionally precarious amusement. Particularly underweight, at times you need to unite, now and then you must be forceful, and it additionally relies on upon whether you are setting or pursuing an objective.

A few individuals are amazed the selectors have picked a senior player like you who is 31 years of age. Is it accurate to say that they are truly looking to what's to come?

All I have got the chance to say is if my wellness is not that great and I am not moving like an adolescent then I can comprehend their point. Yet, in the event that that was the situation then Huss [Michael Hussey] ought not to have played till 39 and he won the match for CSK in the IPL semi-finals [play-off]. I like to take a gander at such cases that move me. Everyone is going to get old, however how fit you are and how predictable you are matter more to me.

You must know what the test now is for you in one-day cricket?

For me the test is whether I get a begin, I clearly need to become famous. It is not that I have been a lemon in ODIs. I simply did not change over those begins huge hundreds. That was harming me more. Indeed, the same was the situation in Test cricket when I got a great deal of thirties at first. It requires some serious energy for you to comprehend it. I am in the right stage right now. I am not thinking back and saying it was a terrible ordeal. No. Since that gave me a extensive measure of adapting over all the arrangements of the amusement.

What have you been doing in the wake of coming back from Bangladesh other than preparing?

I have discovered another adoration for surfing. I have had a decent time doing that on the grounds that it is enjoyable. I have taken in a couple of more traps.

What are the new traps?


Ride the wave and don't fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment